Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Polaroid life


Okay. So heard a really wonderful story a few months back which I was reminded of today.

Today I heard something on the radio about the end of Polaroid's manufacturing of film. Yes, I know this was officially announced back in February but today I heard several plants were closing and several types of film would no longer be available as of this week. 

Anyway, that story reminded me of a really wonderful piece I heard a while back on CBC radio so I looked it up on the interweb and, low an behold, it was still there. This is the story of a New Yorker named Jamie Livingston. He was not a famous person in his time, but he was a remarkable person in his own right (as many people are).

In 1979, Jamie decided to start taking Polaroid photos

Everyday.

Nearly twenty years later, Jamie had a hell of a lot of shoe-boxes full of Polaroid photos.

Now, in 2008, Jamie's body of work over that period exists on the internet.

If you are approaching his material for the first time, please take the time to encounter Jamie from the beginning of his story before you skip to the end. You will regret it if you don't. I've been through his material several times and expect I'll be back again.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...